The dog started barking about 3:20 a.m. Thursday and the resident heard a loud bang.
The dog started barking about 3:20 a.m. Thursday and the resident heard a loud bang. The access door to the attic had blown out, and the resident grabbed an extinguisher and put out the flames.
He then alerted the other occupants and called 911. Firefighters encountered light smoke in the house and extinguished a small fire smoldering in the attic.
No injuries were reported, and damage was estimated at $10,000. The fire appears to be caused by electrical wiring in the attic.
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - Fire officials say a dog alerted its owner to an early morning attic fire, allowing him to put out the flames with a dry chemical extinguisher.